Clyne Chapel was built in 1907 by Graham Vivian, who owned the nearby Clyne Castle and Estate, as the private chapel for his family. Although Vivian specified that the Chapel should have no stained glass windows to distract from the beauty of its surroundings, there are within it a range of notable artefacts that he collected on his tours to Italy, including the marble altar, a stone relief of the Transfiguration, and the imposing traditional hardwood pulpit. The Chapel seats about 120 people, on a mixture of conventional pews and modern chairs. The small, electric action, two manual organ was reconstructed and relocated to its present site at the back of the Chapel by Percy Daniels in 1976.
Clyne Chapel is a Grade II listed building. Tucked into a hollow at the entrance to Clyne Gardens, it is greatly enhanced by the peace and splendour of its location, and is a valued place for quiet reflection, prayer, and meditation. A War Memorial to members of the village of Blackpill who lost their lives in the two World Wars stands in the grounds. There is also a Garden of Remembrance, where ashes are interred. Originally, with Holy Cross, Clyne Chapel was part of the large Parish of Oystermouth, but, in 1974, the new Parish of Llwynderw was created to encompass the communities served by the two churches.
The Church of the Holy Cross was opened on Holy Cross Day (September 14th), 1956. It was named after West Cross, the expanding population of which it was built to serve in the years following World War II. Constructed in a modern style, Holy Cross captures the atmosphere of its area. It seats about 150 people, entirely on modern chairs, and is a flexible space for different types of worship. It has excellent acoustics, aided by a sound system which includes a loop to assist those who are hard of hearing, and has been modified to comply with DDA requirements. Holy Cross is a vibrant building with a striking Sanctuary that includes domed windows in the ceiling to let in natural light. On its east wall is a magnificent Majestas (statue of Christ in majesty), flanked by two angels and five stars, the latter of which were put into place by Arthur Howells at the time when the Church was being built. The Chapel of St Faith is situated through the doors to the immediate left of the Sanctuary, as you face it, and the Parish Hall adjoins the Church on its north wall.
Originally, with Clyne Chapel, Holy Cross was part of the large Parish of Oystermouth, but, in 1974, the new Parish of Llwynderw was created to encompass the communities served by the two churches.
©The Parish of Llwynderw is part of the Diocese of Swansea and Brecon in the Church in Wales
The Venerable Jonathan Davies
Llwynderw Vicarage, Fairwood Road, West Cross, Swansea, SA3 5JP